National Poetry Month (including writing workshops)
Chapters Teen Writing Club
Thursdays, 6-8pm - Pinney Library
Local author Carole Madrzak leads a writing club for teens.
First Monday, First Person
First Monday of the month - Pinney Library
Monthly writers' salon on the Monday of each month through December (excluding holidays)
Workshops and Programs
Local Resources for Writers
- Arts + Literature Laboratory
- Council for Wisconsin Writers
- Madison Writers’ Studio
- Mad Poetry
- UW-Madison Writer’s Institute
- UW-Madison Writing Center
- Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets
- Wisconsin Writers Association
- Write-by-the-Lake Writer’s Workshop and Retreat
- Writing @ UW Madison Continuing Studies
- Writing Meetups in Madison
Books about Writing
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. and E.B. White
- Letters to a Young Writer: Some Practical and Philosophical Advice by Colum McCann
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction by William Zinsser
- Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose
- Syllabus: Notes From an Accidental Professor by Lynda Barry
- This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
- The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
- Writer’s Market 2018 by Robert Lee Brewer
Also check LINKcat for Writer’s Market books for specific genres.
Business and Educational Writing
- Business Plans Handbook Database containing actual business plans compiled by entrepreneurs seeking funding for small businesses throughout North America.
- LearningExpress Library A comprehensive online database of practice tests and tutorial course series designed to help students and adult learners succeed. Includes tutorials on writing and grammar.
- Writer’s Handbook Guidelines for academic and professional writing from the Writing Center at UW-Madison.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab Writing resources and instructional material from the Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University.
- National Novel Writing Month National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) believes in the transformational power of creativity. We provide the structure, community, and encouragement to help people find their voices, achieve creative goals, and build new worlds—on and off the page.
- Poets & Writers Resources for writers, including selected content from Poets & Writers Magazine.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab: Creative WritingResources that will help you with the basics of creative writing, including resources on writing poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction.
- Writer’s Digest Online home of the popular magazine dedicated to helping writers with the craft and the business of writing.
- Academy of American Poets
- Horror Writers Association
- Mystery Writers of America
- Romance Writers of America
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America
- Grant Writing 101: Resources for Grant Writers Informative blog post with useful links from GuideStar.
- Agent Query The internet's largest free database of literary agents.
- “The Indie Author's Guide to Free Reviews” Article from Publisher’s Weekly that includes a list of places indie authors can look to for free reviews of their books.
- Mad Poetry's Local Publications & Media listMadison area resource list
- Poets & Writers Literary Agents DatabaseIncludes agents and literary agencies that represent poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers, plus details about the kind of books they're interested in representing, their clients, and the best way to contact them.
- Query Shark A blog dedicated to how to write query letters.
- Writer’s Digest Online resources for writers, with a focus on writing and getting published.