The new Pinney Library was constructed with sustainability in mind and has been LEED Certified Gold for Commercial Interiors. Below are some of the sustainable features included in the Pinney Library:
- The mechanical system is highly efficient and provides proper ventilation for improved indoor environmental quality.
- Use of "local" finishes (within 500 miles) with low VOC (volatile organic compounds).
- The design includes a raised floor system that allows for flexibility for future remodels. Power and data systems can be rerouted underneath this raised access floor - without major demolition - to meet changing library needs in the future.
- Use of daylight sensors to monitor/reduce electric light usage when daylighting is providing sufficient lighting.
- With the addition of solar panels - in a future phase - the project could be a net zero energy facility.