Value Line is an investment research company collecting data and analyzing performance of approximately 8,000 stocks, 15,000 mutual funds, and 80,000 options and other securities. Value Line is best known for their Investment Survey, one of the most widely read investment services in the world.
From the library’s Value Line page, go to the Quick Index on the left. Click on Standard Edition > Survey Issues. Now you’re at The Value Line Investment Survey, for which Value Line is best known and where investors spend the bulk of their time. The current issue is listed first; back issues below it.
The Value Line Investment Survey has three main parts:
- The Ratings & Reports section’s one-page reports contain, among other things, Value Line’s Timeliness, Safety, and Technical ranks, financial and stock price forecasts for the coming 3-5 years, an analyst’s written commentary, and more. Clicking on Ratings & Reports will take you to the companies included in the current issue. From here, you have many options.
- Click on the name of a company to go to the Value Line Stock Page.
- Click on the ticker symbol of the company and you’ll go to the Quote Lookup page, which will give you a company snapshot.
- Click on the industry name to get information on more companies in that industry.
- The Selection & Opinion section contains Value Line’s latest economic and stock market forecasts, one-page write-ups about interesting and attractive stocks, model portfolios, and financial and stock market statistics.
- The Summary & Index contains an index of all stock in the Investment Survey as well as many up-to-date statistics, keeping investors informed about the latest company results. Also here, you’ll find a variety of stock “screens” designed to help investors quickly identify companies with characteristics matching their investing goals.
While we’re at the Value Line’s Investment Survey page, let’s look at the links on the left sidebar. Some of the most useful of these resources include:
Lookup Industry-where you’ll find industry reports.
Lookup Company-where you’ll find company reports.
Rank Changes-Listing of stocks whose Timeliness or Performance ranks have
changed for the week.
Supplementary Report-an update of a regular full-page Value Line company
report published in the back of the Ratings & Reports section when there is a
significant development relating to a company. Among the most likely reasons
for a Supplementary Report are a major corporate development, such as a
merger or acquisition, or a surprising earnings announcement.
Stock Screening-search for stocks by industry, performance, location, and
level of social responsibility, among others.
Custom Report-create a custom report for any of the stocks included in Value
Model Portfolios-To illustrate how an investment strategy can meet different
goals, Value Line analysts select and maintain three model portfolios, each with a
distinctive investment objective. All three portfolios hold 20 stocks.
Top 100-Value Line’s top-ranked stocks. In addition to listing the #1 rated stocks, the drop-down menu allows sorting by various criteria.
Get an industry report (e.g. restaurant)
In the left hand menu, click on Lookup Industry. After entering Restaurant in search box, click on Restaurant under the list of Total Industries. Then, you’ll have a choice. Click on restaurant name for the Value Line Stock page for that restaurant. For a custom report / profile, click on HTML icon.
Get a company report (e.g. Johnson & Johnson)
In the left hand menu, click on Lookup Company. After entering Johnson & Johnson in the search box and clicking the radio button for Company, you’ll have a choice. If you want the company profile from the custom report, click on the HTML icon. If you want the Value Line Stock Page report for that company, click company name. For the latest reports of all Value Line companies in this industry, click the industry name.
As you explore this resource, it’s good to remember that you can always regain your bearings and get back to the beginning by clicking on My Value Line (orange tab at the top).
How to get additional Information on Companies
From My Value Line, go to Quick Index > Standard Edition/Plus Edition or Small & Mid-Cap Edition.
Survey Issues-View current and previous 12 issues.
Rank Changes-A list of stocks whose Timeliness or Performance changed for the week (1=highest; 5=lowest).
Supplementary Reports-Late-breaking company news.
Stock Screening-This feature can also be used to retrieve company data not found in Company Profile.
Custom Report-Create a custom report with a selection of variables. (See also How to Use Stock Screener below for more variables selection.)
Value Line allows you to screen stocks by a number of criteria. From Standard Edition, Plus Edition or Small/Mid-Cap Edition go to Stock Screening. At the top of the page, you’ll see the option of saving your searches to use them again. You can search for stocks by:
- company name or ticker symbol
- region or continent
- level of social responsibility
You can choose to limit your search by Value Line rankings or use Value Line preset searches. Finally, under Additional Stock Information, you can use any number of search criteria, including many ratios, financial statements, projections and more.
If you need additional screening help, look for Value Line’s Stock Screener Help menu option on the left. You might also want to look at Value Line’s Preset Screens, found on the right hand side of the library’s Value Line start-up page.