Congratulations on your child’s new card!
We are so happy to have you join the Madison Public Library family! Here are a few tips to help you have a great library experience:
- Share library materials. Please return library materials on time. No fines are charged on any children’s materials (these items are all marked with a + on the item’s spine label), however, lost and damaged fees may apply.
- Have a special library shelf at home. One way to help keep track of your library materials is to create a special shelf, basket, or bag at home just for library items.
- Let us know about damaged items. If you’ve checked out an item that is torn or damaged, please let staff know. You can talk with someone at the checkout desk or send an email to email@example.com.
Tips for Choosing Books
- Find books together. You are encouraged to choose library materials with your child to ensure your child is checking out materials appropriate for your family. If you have concerns, you may restrict access to children’s materials only.
- Read what interests your child. Comic books, graphic novels, non-fiction, historical fiction, fantasy — there are so many different styles that may interest your child. Choose what they love to help them love reading.
- Ask a Librarian. Not sure what to read next? Our Librarians love to help kids and families find their next great book! Just stop by and ask us, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or request a Library CSA box.
- Read a review. Check out MADreads to get reviews written by our own Librarians.
- Try a database. Your new library card gives you access to Novelist (and Novelist K-8), a great database that can help you find new titles to try based on what you’ve already read and liked. Visit the Research & Discovery section of our website for more information.
Free Classes and Events
The Madison Public Library has historically offered a wide variety of free classes and special events. Currently, our event schedule is less full than usual because of COVID restrictions. Please visit our online calendar for the most up-to-date listings.
Stay up-to-date with Library News
- Library Kids: Book recommendations and library news and events for families or caregivers of children aged PreK- Grade Six. Published every two weeks.
- Booked for Teens: Booked for Teens is a newsletter of new teen books and teen events and classes. Published monthly.
- Check It Out: News and updates about Madison Public Library programs and services. Published every two weeks.
- Wisconsin Book Festival: Sign up for Festival updates and year-round author events in or in partnership with Madison libraries.
To subscribe, visit www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/insider.