Madison Public Library is now offering Birding Backpacks thanks to a generous donation from the Feminist Bird Club-Madison Chapter. In 2022, the Feminist Bird Club joined the Great Wisconsin Birdathon to raise funds to purchase backpacks of birding equipment to have available at each of the Madison Public Library locations. They were able to raise over $4,000 during the Birdathon, with 50% of their funds supporting Wisconsin’s highest priority bird conservation projects, and 50% funding the birding backpack project.The goal of this project is to eliminate the cost barrier that can come with trying a new hobby like birding--all of the equipment needed to get out and explore nature through birding is provided in the backpacks.
Birding Backpacks Include:
- 1 pair of binoculars for adults
- 1 pair of binoculars for kids
- 1 Sibley's field guide for adults
- 1 youth field guide from Madison Audubon
- 1 birding location guide to help you explore potential birding spots near each library
Checking Out A Backpack
Birding Backpacks can be checked out for a 7-day loan period and are available at every library location. This is a walk-in collection meaning no holds are available and backpacks are distributed on a first-come, first serve basis.
A few things to remember when checking out a backpack:
- A Madison Public Library Card is required.
- NO renewals will be allowed.
- Only 1 backpack may be checked out per card.
- Backpacks MUST NOT be returned in book drops. Packs should be returned to staff at the circulation desk.
- Backpacks may be returned to any South Central Library System library location.
- Binoculars are under a limited lifetime warranty, which covers defects in material or workmanship. Warranty does not cover damage caused by the user or normal wear & tear. It also does not cover binocular accessories including lens caps, straps and cases. Please take good care of the materials - all lost/damaged material protocols will be followed if items are damaged.
- No charge for overdue items, but please keep in mind that this is a unique and popular item and others will also been keen to try it!
About the Feminist Bird Club of Wisconsin
The Feminist Bird Club is a birdwatching club dedicated to promoting inclusivity in birding while fundraising and providing a safe opportunity for members of the LGBTQIA+ community, BIPOC, and women to connect with the natural world. The Madison chapter was founded in 2019 and offers monthly outings that are open to everyone who supports their mission, no birding experience required!
About the Great Wisconsin Birdathon
The Great Wisconsin Birdathon is Wisconsin’s largest fundraiser for bird conservation. Each year bird enthusiasts from across the state form teams with the goal of finding as many bird species as possible within a 24-hour period while raising important funds for bird conservation. LEARN MORE