Posted by Kathy K on February 20, 2018
Do you like reading history? Then check out this new booklist History Books, Recommended in 2017. Below is a sample from that list. The selections are from the New York Times 100 Notable Books of the Year, Publishers Weekly Best Books of the Year, and starred reviews from Library Journal and Booklist. For even newer recommendations check out the Insider newsletter: History. You can subscribe to this list and get bimonthly a list of new titles to read. In addition, there are many other Insider newsletters that you can sign up for. There is a wide variety to satisfy one's reading interests.
- Hummer, Jill Abraham. First Ladies and American Women: In Politics and at Home. University Press of Kansas, .
- Mundy, Liza. Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II. Hachette Books, 2017.
- Rothstein, Richard. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America. Liveright Publishing Corporation, .
- Romer, John. A History of Ancient Egypt: From the Great Pyramid to the Fall of the Middle Kingdom. Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press, 2017.
- Ash, Alec. Wish Lanterns: Young Lives in New China. Arcade Publishing, 2017.
- Hillsbery, Kief. Empire Made: My Search for an Outlaw Uncle Who Vanished in British India. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2017.
- Ward & Ken Burns, Geoffrey C.. The Vietnam War: An Intimate History. Alfred A. Knopf, 2017.
- De Hamel, Christopher. Meetings with Remarkable Manuscripts: Twelve Journeys into the Medieval World. Penguin Press, 2017.
- Gessen, Masha. The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia. Riverhead Books, 2017.
- Nelson, Anne. Suzanne’s Children: A Daring Rescue in Nazi Paris. Simon & Schuster, 2017.
- Guerriero, Leila. Cuba on the Verge: 12 Writers on Continuity and Change in Havana and Across the Country. Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, .
- Blincoe, Nicholas. Bethlehem: Biography of a Town. Nation Books, 2017.
- Campbell, Deborah. A Disappearance in Damascus: Friendship and Survival in the Shadow of War. Picador, 2017.
- Lee, Jeffrey. God's Wolf: The Life of the Most Notorious of All Crusaders, Scourge of Saladin. W. W. Norton & Company, 2017.
- Jacobs, A. J.. It's All Relative: Adventures Up and Down the World's Family Tree. Simon & Schuster, 2017.
- Schama, Simon. The Story of the Jews: Belonging: 1492-1900. Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, .
- Westad, Odd Arne. The Cold War: A World History. Basic Books, 2017.