Back to top

Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture in Wisconsin

Frank Lloyd Wright Boathouse, courtesy of the Wisconsin State Historical Society
Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture in Wisconsin

A list of publicly-accessible Frank Lloyd Wright architecture organized geographically. Developed in 1997 in conjunction with a library program.

Quick Guide

Bayside | Beaver Dam | Columbus | Delavan | Dousman | Fox Point | Jefferson | Lake Delton | Lancaster | Madison Area (Madison, Middleton, Shorewood Hills) | Milwaukee Area (Bayside, Foxpoint, Milwaukee, Wauwatosa) | Mirror Lake | Oshkosh | Plover | Racine Area (Racine, Wind Point) | Richland Center | Spring Green Area (Spring Green, Wyoming Valley) | Stevens Point | Two Rivers | Wausau | Wauwatosa

Seven of the following sites (*) are open to the public. Phone numbers are given or you may request a free tour brochure and other information from:

Frank Lloyd Wright Wisconsin
P.O. Box 6339
Madison, Wisconsin 53716-0339
608-287-0339

Individuals living at the residential sites in this list cannot accommodate tours and/or inquiries. Please respect their right to privacy.

Madison Public Library has also compiled a list of books, films, tapes, and interactive media about Frank Lloyd Wright. Go to "By and About Frank Lloyd Wright" or pick up a copy at your local library.

Bayside (see Milwaukee Area)

Beaver Dam

Arnold Jackson Residence, "Skyview"
7655 Indian Hills Trail
1956. Built of stone in Madison. 1985. Moved to present site. Another example of the first prefab design for Marshall Erdman Company.

Columbus

E. Clarke Arnold Residence
954 Dix Street
1954. Originally two wings set at a 120-degree angle; now includes an additional wing designed by a Taliesin Fellow, John H. Howe, in 1959.

Delavan

All five Wright buildings constitute a group of Lake Delavan summer residences supervised simultaneously, and to varying degrees, by Wright.

George W. Spencer Residence
3209 South Shore Drive
1902. Disowned by Wright when construction was altered to include vertical siding on the second level.

Charles S. Ross Residence
3211 South Shore Drive
1902. A cruciform, Prairie-style structure of board and batten construction.

Fred B. Jones Residence
3335 South Shore Drive
1903. Largest of the Delavan group, but only partially supervised by Wright.

Henry Wallis Summer Residence and Boathouse
3409 South Shore Drive
1897-Boathouse; 1900-Summer Residence. Only the boathouse was supervised by Wright, and that only in part.

A. P. Johnson Residence
3459 South Shore Drive
1905. Prairie-style with tongue-and-groove siding, being restored by present owner. Some supervision by Wright.

Dousman

Maurice Greenberg Residence
3902 WI Highway 67, two miles south of Dousman
1954. A brick, concrete and wood structure cantilevered from the brow of its hill.

Foxpoint (see Milwaukee Area)

Jefferson

Richard Smith Residence
332 East Linden Drive
1950. Limestone, plaster, cypress and cedar shakes.

Lake Delton

Seth Peterson Cottage*
E9982 Ferndell Road
608/254-6551 (rental)
608/254-6051 (tours)
1958. A native and wood cottage on Mirror Lake; now a part of Mirror Lake State Park. Available for vacation rentals.

Lancaster

Patrick Kinney Residence
474 North Fillmore Street
1951. Triangular modules of stone and wood. The northeast wing is a later addition designed by a Taliesin Fellow, John H. Howe.

Madison Area:

Madison
Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center*
One John Nolen Drive
608/261-4000
1995. Based on 1959 design. Pendentive arches frame expansive view of Lakeside Plaza and Lake Monona. Rooftop garden links pedestrian mall to nearby capital.

Robert M. Lamp Residence
22 North Butler Street
1905. A simple brick structure. The third level is a later addition and not of Wright design.

Herbert Jacobs First Residence
441 Toepfer Street
1936. The first truly Usonian house - a concrete slab floor with integral radiant heating and wood sandwich-wall construction which eliminated conventional studs.

Eugene VanTamelen Residence
5817 Anchorage Road
1956. First of the prefab designs for Marshall Erdman Company. L-shaped with masonry core and board and batten siding.

Walter Rudin Residence
110 Marinette Trail
1957. The second of four prefab designs for Marshall Erdman Company. Concrete block with horizontal board and batten siding.

Eugene A. Gilmore Residence, "Airplane House"
120 Ely Place
1908. Plaster with wood trim cruciform structure with unusual small porches.

Middleton

Herbert Jacobs Second Residence
3995 Shawn Trail (not open to the public)
1943. The first solar hemicycle. On two levels with its rear set into the earth.

Shorewood Hills

Unitarian Meeting House*
900 University Bay Drive
608/233-9774
1947. Limestone and oak with a copper roof. The design was intended to suggest hands folded in prayer.

John C. Pew Residence
3650 Lake Mendota Drive
1939. Limestone and cypress built in a lot that slopes sharply to Lake Mendota.

Shorewood Hills (see Madison Area)

Milwaukee Area:

Bayside

Joseph Mollica Residence
1001 West Jonathan
1956. A mirror image of the Marshall Erdman prefab units. Stone construction.

Foxpoint

Albert Adelman Residence
7111 North Barnett
1948. An L-shaped structure of buff-colored block, cypress and cedar shakes.

Milwaukee

Arthur L. Richards Duplex Apartments
2720-2732 West Burnham Boulevard
1916. Four buildings with two apartments each from American System-Built Homes.

Arthur L. Richards Small House
2714 West Burnham Boulevard
1916. Single-story, flat-roofed house from American System-Built Homes.

Arthur L. Richards Bungalow
1835 South Layton Boulevard
1916. Resurfaced in stone veneer.

Frederick C. Bogk Residence
2420 North Terrace Avenue
1916. Ornamental post-Prairie-style in Roman brick.

Wauwatosa

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church*
9400 West Congress Street, at North 92nd St.
414/461-9400
1956. A ceramic tile roof spans this world-famous drum-shaped concrete structure.

Mirror Lake (see Lake Delton)

Oshkosh

Stephen M. B. Hunt Residence
1165 Algoma Boulevard
1917. Same design as the Richards bungalow.

Plover

Frank Iber Residence
3000 Springville Drive, at U. S. (Business) 5
1956. Another example of the first prefab design for Marshall Erdman Company.

Racine Area:

Racine

Thomas P. Hardy Residence
1319 South Main Street
1905. Unimpressive when seen from the street, but striking when viewed from the Lake Michigan shoreline.

S. C. Johnson Administrative Building and Research Tower*
1525 Howe Street
414/260-2154
1936-Administration Building; 1944-Research Tower. The famous Johnson Wax Building with its controversial dendriform internal columns and extensive use of glass as an exterior covering.

Karen Johnson/Willard H. Keland Residence
1425 Valley View Drive
1954. Multiple wings with an inner atrium. Brick construction with a copper roof.

Wind Point

Herbert E. Johnson Residence, "Wingspread"
33 East Four Mile Road
1937. Headquarters of the Johnson Foundation. The last of the Prairie-style houses. Considered by Wright to have been the best-built and most expensive house to that time.

Richland Center

A. D. German Warehouse*
300 South Church Street
608/647-2808 or 800/422-1318
1915. Brick and cast concrete. Now used as a museum.

Shorewood Hills (see Madison Area)

Spring Green Area:

Spring Green

Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center and Riverview Terrace*
5609 County Highway C, at WI Highway 23, 2.5 miles south of Spring Green
608/588-7900
ALL TOURS OF TALIESIN PROPERTY BEGIN AT THIS LOCATION

1953. The only extant Wright-designed restaurant, it was intended as a gift to the town of Spring Green. Completed after the death of Wright.

Taliesin Property includes:

Taliesin III, Dams, and Enclosed Garden
WI Highway 23, Taliesin
1915-Taliesin; 1945-Dams; 1959-Garden. The third Taliesin was built after fire destroyed the second, but much of the original Taliesin remains.

Midway Barns with Dairy and Machine Sheds
WI Highway 23, Taliesin
1938-Barns; 1947-Dairy and Sheds. Operated by and for the Taliesin Fellowship.

Andrew T. Porter Residence, "Tanyderi"
WI Highway 23, Taliesin
1907. A pre-Prairie-style house executed some years after its design.

Romeo and Juliet Windmill
WI Highway 23, Taliesin
1896. A diamond interlocked with an octagon, symbolizing the ill-fated lovers. Resurfaced in 1939 with horizontal board and batten siding.

Taliesin Hillside Studio and Theater
WI Highway 23, Taliesin
1933. A remodeling of the Hillside Home School and reconstruction of the Hillside Playhouse for use by the Fellowship.

Wyoming Valley

Wyoming Valley Grammar School
6306 WI Highway 23, 2 miles south of Hillside Studio
1956. The only public elementary school built from a Wright design. Concrete block and redwood with sky-lighted rooms.

Stevens Point (see Plover)

Two Rivers

Bernard Schwartz Residence
3425 Adams Street
1939. A T-shaped two-level structure of brick and horizontal cypress siding.

Wausau

Charles L. Manson Residence
1224 Highland Park Boulevard
1938. Based on the hexagon. Brick with horizontal wood siding.

Duey Wright Residence
904 Grand Avenue
1957. A modified L-shaped structure with a circular section living room. Concrete block.

Wauwatosa (see Milwaukee Area)

Wyoming Valley (see Spring Green Area)

 

This list was compiled with the aid of:

Frank Lloyd Wright and the Prairie School of Wisconsin: an Architectural Touring Guide, by Karen Visser.
Prairie Oak Press, 1992.
720.97750904 V827f.

Frank Lloyd Wright Companion, by William Allin Storrer.
University of Chicago Press, 1993.
720.92 W931st.

Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide. Vol. 1, Upper Great Lakes: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, by Thomas A. Heinz.
Academy Editions, 1996.
720.973 W931h v.1.