Each year Madison Public Library partners with UW-Madison to extend the perennially popular Go Big Read program into the broader community with book discussion groups and programs at our libraries.
The 2018-2019 Go Big Read selection is The Death and Life of the Great Lakes, a portrait of an ecological catastrophe happening right before our eyes written by two-time Pulitzer-Prize finalist and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter Dan Egan. Read more about the selection in the press release from UW-Madison.
Madison Public Library will be hosting discussions of the book throughout the fall of 2018. Dates, times, and locations will be announced soon. Copies of the book will also be available in the library’s book club kit collection in early fall.
Sign up for the New Book Discussion Kit Insider e-newsletter to be notified when the copies are available.
2018 Go Big Read Selection
Chancellor Rebecca Blank has selected “The Death and Life of the Great Lakes” by Dan Egan for the 2018-19 Go Big Read selection. In his book, Egan paints a portrait of an ecological catastrophe happening right before our eyes, blending the epic story of the lakes with an examination of the perils they face and the ways we can restore and preserve them for generations to come.
Egan, a Green Bay native, is a two-time Pulitzer-Prize finalist and reporter for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. He's also a senior water policy fellow at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s School of Freshwater Sciences and has covered the Great Lakes since 2003. Egan won an AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Award in 2013, the Oakes Award for environmental journalism in 2006, and has received four National Headliner Awards for environmental and science reporting.
Read more about the book’s selection in the UW-Madison press release.
- Wednesday, September 19, 6:30 pm at Hawthorne Library
- Wednesday, September 19, 7:00 pm at Central Library
- Thursday, September 27, 7:00 pm at Sequoya Library
- Thursday, October 4, 6:30 pm at Lakeview Library
- Wednesday, October 10, 2:30 pm at Pinney Library
- Thursday, October 11, 12:00 pm at Lakeview Library
- Wednesday, October 24, 6:30 pm at Monroe Street Library
- Thursday, November 8, 1:30 pm at Alicia Ashman Library
- Thursday, November 15, 6:30 pm at Meadowridge Library
- Saturday, November 17, 1:30 pm at Goodman South Madison Library
- Tuesday, November 27, 7:00 pm at Pinney Library