Free help filing your 2020 income tax return, provided by AARP.
AARP offers free tax return preparation to anyone who needs it. Some situations are outside the scope of this free service, as determined by the IRS and AARP Foundation.
- Must be able to appear in person twice to drop off and pick up your documents (UNLESS you become ill - you’ll receive instructions on how to notify us and reschedule. Our volunteers will still complete your return)
- Must be reachable by phone. If your volunteer tax preparer cannot reach you, your return will not be completed
Due to COVID-19 and volunteer capacity, this service is significantly reduced this year. Please follow the steps below to get in line for an appointment.
- Decide which location you prefer:
- Central Library, 201 W. Mifflin St, will have appointments on Saturdays in March-early April
- Lakeview Library, 2845 N. Sherman Ave, will have appointments on Wednesdays and Fridays in February-early April
- Starting Monday, February 15, click "Sign up / Register" at the bottom of this page for Lakeview, or on this page for Central. You do not have an appointment yet.
- We will send you an intake packet with documents for you to fill out, and instructions to prepare for tax filing. You do not have an appointment yet.
- Once you have gathered and filled out the necessary documents, call the number included in your intake packet during the designated times to book your appointment. As long as you 1) meet eligibility requirements, and 2) call and speak to library staff during the designated times included in your intake packet, you will get an appointment.
*Please allow up to 2 days to receive intake packets by email, and up to 7 business days by post.
**You may receive an automated confirmation email immediately after registering on this page. That email is not your intake packet. Please wait 2 days before inquiring.