Affordable Care Act: Public and Staff Resources
Affordable Care Act – Health Insurance Marketplace
The best source of information is the federal Health Insurance Marketplace: on-line at www.healthcare.gov, or at 1-800-318-2596.
- This is where people who are eligible can sign up for an insurance plan from local health insurance companies, with federal discounts.
- Sign up by December 15, 2014 for coverage starting in January 2015. You can enroll until February 15, 2015, however coverage will be delayed. You can sign up after February 15 only in special cases (call the Marketplace for information).
- If you have a Marketplace plan, call the Marketplace or go on-line to update your information so that your discounts are correct. You need to renew your coverage every year, or you can shop for a new plan. For more information, https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/5-steps-to-staying-covered.pdf
- People with low income might be eligible for BadgerCare Plus (Medicaid) instead. You will find out when you apply through the Marketplace, or see the information below.
Call 2-1-1 for a complete list of places in Dane County to get free help to sign up.
- For assistance in signing up - 2 application counselors from Access Community Health will assist you at Job Center (1819 Aberg Ave. M-F 8:00-4:00). Call 1-888-794-5556. Walk-in assistance provided.
Other good sources of information about the ACA
- Information and materials for organizations that are doing outreach or helping people to sign up: https://marketplace.cms.gov/
- Kaiser Family Foundation http://kff.org/
The United Way Health Connect program pays the insurance premiums (monthly cost) for some Dane County residents who sign up for certain Marketplace plans.
Call 2-1-1 or go to www.unitedwaydanecounty.org/healthconnect/.
BadgerCare Plus is Medicaid health care coverage for Wisconsin residents with low income. BadgerCare rules changed in 2014 so adults without minor children are now eligible.
For more information or to apply, call 1-888-794-5556, or go to http://access.wisconsin.gov, or go to the Dane County Job Center at 1819 Aberg Avenue, Madison.