Central Library Grand Opening Weekend
We’re getting ready for a new chapter of public library service in Madison! Join us at our Central Library Grand Opening Weekend, September 21 & 22, at our sparkling new library on the corner of Fairchild and Mifflin Streets in downtown Madison.
Saturday, September 21
8-9 am Farmer’s Market promotion; music and activities outside Central Library (Mifflin Street will be blocked off for the day on the block between the library and Overture Center for the Arts)
9 am Ribbon cutting ceremony with Mayor Soglin, Library Director Greg Mickells, Foundation Executive Director Jenni Collins, and Library Board President Tripp Widder
9:30 am doors open to public; regular library service begins
11 am-2 pm lunch carts outside the library
2-3 pm hard hat tour for children and families
2-5 pm family friendly short film showings in third floor meeting room
6-7 pm reception for Jojo Moyes, New York Times bestselling author of Me Before You and The Girl You Left Behind
7-9 pm author Jojo Moyes speaks at Wisconsin Book Festival preview event. Requires registration due to high demand; register online or call to RSVP.
10 am-5 pm will offer a variety of ongoing, drop-in activities on all floors of the library, including but not limited to:
• children’s character appearances in children’s room (10 am – noon)
• Bubbler drop in creative activities in partnership with Sector67, ArtWorking, and Silver Buckle Press
• musical performances by local musicians Yid Vicious, Big Payback, Off the Porch, and others
• photo booth with Jim Escalante
• drop in science programming from the Wisconsin Science Festival organizers
• drop in arts programming from Libraries as Incubator Project
• hourly public tours including some specific tours highlighting art, technology, architectural or green features
Grand opening weekend will also continue with drop in programming and scheduled events for all ages on Sunday, September 22, 1-5 pm including a presentation on the history of Madison Public Library by historian Ann Waidelich, an art tour with Gallery Director Trent Miller, hands-on science activities in partnership with Madison Environmental Group and maker activities in partnership with Mad City Makers, music by the John Christensen Trio and Megan Moran’s +1, a hard hat tour for families and children at 2 pm, and a tea event with Dobra Tea.